Tuesday 8 February 2011

FRU RASMUSSEN (2)

My wife told me last night that Kromand (literally "Inn-man"), Fru Rasmussen's husband, has died. That is not so surprising, since he was over 90, and they were very much a team. The inn has continued since her death last year, but it was always going to be a matter of time.

The question now is; what happens to the kro? The Rasmussens had run the hotel and restaurant since just after the second world war; and their children, who must be close to, if not of, pensionable age, don't want to continue it. I suppose that they will try and sell it. But running such an institution is difficult in rural Denmark, and it only worked before because the building was fully paid off long ago.

What happens to the kro will give a good indication of the health of rural businesses in these straightened times. Sadly, I think that indication will be negative.

Walter Blotscher

3 comments:

  1. Aha. Maybe the redoubtable Walter should take over the Inn. All your readership can come to the opening and make you famous all over the world.

    But then again maybe rural Denmark wont like that.

    My wife? That is very rural. My wife- who has a name?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michael,

    Although my wife does indeed have a name, it is blog policy not to name my wife or children or friends (on the blog; I do at other times!).

    Regards,

    Walter

    ReplyDelete