Thursday 27 September 2012

BAH HUMBUG

A regular reader of mine used the phrase "bah humbug" in connection with some of my posts. So I looked up what it meant.

The consensus seems to be that is a phrase from Charles Dickens' book "A Christmas Carol". Ebenezer Scrooge says it about things he thought were nonsense or worthless. So my reader is saying that I write posts about things that I think are nonsense or worthless. Like popcorn yesterday.

He also suggested that I was getting as grumpy as Mr. Scrooge about these humbug things. Mm, perhaps I am.

All I need now is for this blog to become as literarily famous as Dickens' novels, and the analogy will be perfect!

Walter Blotscher

1 comment:

  1. In Danish, "humbug" is most commonly used in the phrase "svindel og humbug", which loosely translated means cheating and scamming.

    I recall the Scrooge reference being that he believes people want to get money from him (for investments, because they are poor, as a loan, etc.) and he thinks everyone is just out to scam him.

    But I am not sure...

    ReplyDelete