Sunday 15 May 2011

ADVICE FROM MY MOTHER-IN-LAW

On Friday I asked my mother-in-law to visit mi hacienda in order to advise me on matters garden.

She didn't like the big stone, saying that she nearly drove into it (good; that means it will keep those pesky postal vans away). She pointed out those plants which were dead (where I was waiting patiently for them to blossom). And she told me to cut down one of the two shoots from my resilient apple tree, now rather than at the end of the year. Her will shall be done.

Best of all, she approved the ground which has been cleared in preparation for the 2011 project, the kitchen garden. So after 70kms this morning on the bike with the local cycling club, my daughter and I planted three rows of potatoes, one row each of carrots, spinach and lettuce, and assorted wild flowers. Now all we have to do is sit and wait for things to happen.

After all that physical activity, we were knackered. So we sat down in front of the tele with the remains of last night's rhubarb crumble to watch the Etna stage of the Giro d'Italia on Norwegian T.V. and argue about whether Nibali or Contador will win the overall (she, supported by her cycling nut friend, goes for Nibali, I tip Contador). The crumble was eaten with ordinary, rather than whipped, cream, which she now admits is better. If only she had read last year's post a bit earlier ...

Walter Blotscher

No comments:

Post a Comment