Thursday 25 November 2010

THE LOCAL CINEMA

After watching Inception at my local cinema the other week, I have been back the past two Thursdays with my daughter.

Last week we saw a pastiche of the Twilight books and films called Vampires Suck. With judicious editing, the trailer had looked quite funny. The reality was different. It was not quite the worst film I have ever seen, but close. The verdict? Vampires Suck sucks.

Tonight we saw Salt with Angelina Jolie. This had a somewhat old-fashioned plot about Russian moles in the CIA, sleeping for long periods of time before emerging to wreak havoc; and was full of cross and double-cross and double-double-cross. The difference from similar films of 30 years ago was the action scenes, with more sophisticated weaponry and souped-up pyrotechnics. The film also ended in a way, which easily allows for a sequel Salt II if audiences have shown that they like the first one. I have never been a great fan of Ms. Jolie, but it was good entertainment on a cold winter's evening.

Walter Blotscher

1 comment:

  1. I like the thirty years ago image. I have been doing a lot of remembering thirty years ago lately as I stomp those same lanes I walked in those days. I got a Blackberry, very modern, but could only change the contact numbers manually which reduced the mumbers from 226 to 14. It is all part of retirement as is, for me, more trips to the cinema.

    ReplyDelete