Tuesday 28 September 2010

STANSTED AIRPORT (2)

Much to my surprise, I managed this morning to go through Stansted Airport, from rental car drop-off to check-in, security, transit shuttle and finally gate, in about 14 minutes flat. That was undoubtedly efficient and almost pleasurable.

It is still a butt ugly airport, though. And the security people still chat all the time. And there was no coffee shop in my gate area. And no Times newspaper in W.H.Smith's. You get the point; I am not a fan.

Still, every cloud has its silver lining. When I got home and inspected my mole traps, I found two dead moles, one in each trap. Puffed up with martial pride, I then went off to play bridge, and promptly bid and made 6 hearts doubled with only 9 high card points in my hand. Now that doesn't happen very often.

Walter Blotscher

2 comments:

  1. Walter. you seem to be rather disappointed at the lack of opportunity to humbug at Stansted. But the general tenor I can empathise with, airports have since the strike of the Horsemen become dreadful places to be and contribute to the rise of right wing parties run by savvy young politicians. It is all too bad. I am so much humbug about it that I decline to travel for fear of becoming enraged at the airport and ending up in prison.

    “Butt ugly” is a dreadful expression and does not fit at all with your elegant prose. Apart from the fact that bottoms can be very alluring, especially to young men, it suggests you have been watching too much trashy American TV. Trashy is a dreadful word as well. Bah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michael,

    Butt ugly is indeed a dreadful expression, and was probably a reflection of the disappointment, you rightly detected. You also guessed correctly about my cultural influences. I spent a fair part of the weekend watching recorded episodes of the U.K. version of X Factor, which is 10 times more of an emotional wringer than the Danish variety. Though it does have the delicious Cheryl Cole as compensation ...

    Regards,

    Walter

    ReplyDelete