Thursday 16 April 2015

DOC MARTENS

Doctor ("Doc") Martens are a particular type of shoe. The key thing that makes them different is the rubbery/plastic'y sole, which I presume is (or, at least, was) patented. Back in the 1970's when I was a lad, they mainly made boots (bovver boots in the jargon). Originally intended for dockworkers, construction workers and others who had a heavy manual job, they became appropriated by skinheads, who wore them to football matches and used them to beat the crap out of the opposing team's supporters if they got the chance.

Skinheads and bovver boots went out with punk and non-seater football stadiums, and Doc Martens changed too, making shoes as well. I liked them, since I have flat feet, and the sole is very good in that regard. I started off with the ox-blood ones, which I wore during the 1980's (and unfortunately got stolen), and then bought a pair of black ones, which I have had ever since.

Now, belatedly, Doc Martens have arrived in Denmark, and have become a bit of a fashion item amongst the young, particularly teenage girls. My trusty pair were beginning to look a bit shabby, so I bought a new black pair when I was in England this week. The only real difference from the shoes of 30 years ago is some yellow stitching around the top of the sole, otherwise they are just the same as they were back then. Needless to say, my street cred with my young mathematics students has just gone up a notch or two.

Walter Blotscher

No comments:

Post a Comment