Wednesday 19 November 2014

WAR AND PEACE

I have just read (well, re-read, I read it when I was at university 35 years ago) the first part of Tolstoy's War and Peace. Only another 730 pages to go!

Nothing unusual in that. But as I read it, I can't help thinking that in the modern world, for people under 20, it is unusual to read a 1,450 page novel. I find it difficult to point to one student in my two classes whom I would think would do such a thing.

Screens and devices are taking over. Reading books for pleasure is disappearing amongst the young in the same way as handwriting has done.

Walter Blotscher

1 comment:

  1. In general you are right that screens are taking over. I have taken to reading on screens because they are light, I can alter the print size and the back light makes it easier to read in bed. I have taken to audio books as well- but I am not so sure about that yet.

    ReplyDelete