Sunday 28 September 2014

CHILLIES

Last night, at the school where I work, my colleague gave a lecture on the chillies that he grows in his greenhouse. That was interesting in itself. But not half as interesting as the tasting we did afterwards. I am proud to say that I ate a piece of Carolina Reaper, which is reckoned to be the hottest chilli in the world.

When I say piece, I mean a very small piece, smaller than a peanut. Given its size, it was incredible the effect it had on my body. It was like a petrol bomb exploding in my mouth. Because I have eaten spicy food before, I managed to cope with its effect better than some of the students; but it was still a challenge. I drank lots of milk (better than water, since it contains fat) before I managed to get the heat under control.

My colleague promises another tasting later in the year. I am up for it.

Walter Blotscher

No comments:

Post a Comment