Tuesday 26 August 2014

GUITAR RIFFS

BBC Radio has held a poll of listeners as to the best guitar riff ever. One of the surprising things about the result was that nine of the top ten were from the time when I bought vinyl records and listened to them endlessly (the only one I didn't know was How Soon is Now? by The Smiths). In an age of endless You Tube videos, does that mean that pop songs no longer use guitar riffs? I think it does.

I had rather hoped that the winner would be Smoke on the Water by Deep Purple, which is the first thing that I (and probably millions of other boys) ever learned to play on a guitar. However, that came fourth. The winner was Led Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Love. But that still found a soft spot in my heart, since Led Zep II, the album containing the song, was one of the first albums I ever bought, back in the early 1970's.

Walter Blotscher

No comments:

Post a Comment