Tuesday 17 June 2014

POETRY

In 2012 there were no poem anthologies in the list of the top 50 most sold books in Denmark. Today there are four. Given that poetry is a minority taste, that's quite a change.

The reason is the one anthology that was on the list in 2013, and which has sold more than 100,000 copies; Yahya Hassan. The author of the eponymous work is a 19-year old of Palestinian origin, who grew up in a heavily immigrant area of Aarhus. What brought his work to the notice of others was his criticism of Islam and of Muslims in Denmark, whom he portrayed as idle and prejudiced. Coming from someone of his background, the criticism hit home.

My school colleagues say that the poetry - as opposed to the message - is really good. However, as poetry isn't really my thing, I don't think it will be on my list of summer reading. Though I like the fact that the lyrical form seems to be making a bit of a comeback.

Walter Blotscher  

1 comment:

  1. You are your history. Boarding school is a dreadful idea, so Merete told me.

    ReplyDelete