Monday 30 June 2014

SPORT IN JULY

One of the great advantages of being a teacher is having the whole of July as holiday (well, almost; I had to work today and will do so again tomorrow, but then I am off until 6 August). Because July is a great month for sport.

First, for doing it. If the weather is even half decent, then I will have a good cycle ride pretty well every day. I unfortunately pulled a muscle in my back last night, unhitching the trailer I had used to transport my son and his stuff to his lovely new apartment in Odense. So my fitness programme won't start until later in the week. Thereafter, I will be getting into serious shape.

Secondly, for watching it. Wimbledon started last week, and the business end of the tournament is now beginning. There's something about Wimbledon that lies deep in British folk's genes. Even my mum, who is possibly the least sporty person I have ever met, watches Wimbledon, though she tends to base her opinions on non-sporting criteria. She likes Roger Federer, for instance, because he is always elegant, has a family with small children, and speaks fluent English. Rafael Nadal, on the other hand, another great player, gets the thumbs-down, because he doesn't always shave, looks moody and Mediterranean, and fiddles with his bottom before every serve.

Then the Tour de France starts on Saturday. The Tour gives me lots to think about during my own rides, particularly when going uphill (if I struggle doing 1km at an average of 5%, how would I fare doing 15km at an average of 8%?). It also gives me lots to watch when I get back.

This year we also have the added benefit of the World Cup. Football can be disappointing, if the teams spend more time trying not to lose than if they try to win. But now that Ingerland are out, and the tournament has reached the knock-out stage, it gets more interesting.

Thirdly, for talking about it. My elder son is in Copenhagen, and my second son has just moved out after lying on the sofa and talking to me about sport for 6 months, so there is just my wife and daughter at home at the moment. But they quite like both Wimbledon and the World Cup, and can even be persuaded to watch the Tour if it's exciting enough. My daughter currently has a soft spot for Nick Kyrgios, the new 19-year old star of men's tennis. But I can't work out if that's because she admires his serve, or just admires him.

Throw in some mowing, rose tending, eating outside and a week's family holiday on Bornholm, and July's set fair to be a good month.

Walter Blotscher

1 comment: