Friday 27 September 2013

PARISH COUNCILS

The last time I was involved in the local parish council was a year ago, when I was invited to dinner (as the partner of my wife, who had just been elected) in order to meet the new priest. I later discovered that the council has funds to go out to dinner, with partners, once a year. This year it was this evening.

Being a parish council, there has to be some sort of religious element, so we visited two churches on the way. One of them, Bogense, has a wonderful location, with the churchyard overlooking the Baltic to the north of Funen. It also has a fantastic organ, which one of the councillors played for us. I have always loved the sound of a proper church organ, not least because church buildings often have good natural accoustics. At some point in my life, I would like to learn to play one. Perhaps that will be my project for the first year of my retirement.

After the visit we walked down to a fish restaurant in Bogense harbour. The buffet included 15 types of fish, both hot and cold, and was delicious. Sometimes it is easy to see the advantages in having a state church. 

Walter Blotscher

1 comment:

  1. That sounds very different from England. The religious element and the fifteen types of fish, the funds for the dinner make a Danish picuture.

    ReplyDelete