Wednesday 7 August 2013

TOPLESS SUNBATHING

Some 20 years ago, hardly any self-respecting female over the age of 16 would have worn a top when sunbathing on a beach. Nowadays hardly anybody takes their top off. Like any change, this has both benefits and disadvantages.

I asked my 19-year old daughter, one of my advisers on matters female, why this should be so. Her somewhat surprising answer was that she thought it was because of shame. Basically, women are feeling less happy about their bodies than they used to, and so are less willing to expose them to possible public scrutiny.

I had expected her to say something about the risk of cancer, or similar. If she is right, then that is sad.

Walter Blotscher

3 comments:

  1. My gosh. That is certainly a subject I had not expected.

    What were the the beneifits and disadvantages you refer to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michael,

    The obvious benefit is that a fair few people in this world do not look good without their clothes on, so covering them up is a positive move. The obvious disadvantage is the opposite.

    Regards,

    Walter

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose who looks good and who does not is in the eye of the beholder.

    ReplyDelete