Monday 27 May 2013

HOSTAS

My mother-in-law told me last autumn that I should move my roses away from the bed I had made on the back lawn, since the nearby wood gave too much shade. So I built a new bed on the front lawn, where there is more sun, and transplanted the roses there. They seem to be doing well (more on them another time).

Sound advice. But what should I put in the original bed? Are there any plants that don't like the sun? The answer, according to my mother-in-law, was hostas, a plant originally from China and Japan that has now been imported into the West. I must say that when she came with these straggly little colourless things back in December, I was decidedly unimpressed. But they seem to have taken to their new environment, and have come up well, as you can see.



The task of keeping the hostas weed-free will fall to my wife for the next week. I am off to England tomorrow on my annual walking tour, back next Monday.

Walter Blotscher

No comments:

Post a Comment