Tuesday 19 March 2013

MARCH SNOW

It has been freezing in Denmark for what seems like ages. My post of 21 February talked of "endless days with sub-zero temperatures" and that was a month ago. The past two days have added lots of snow to the cold; and with the strong easterly wind blowing in from Russia, that makes for a lot of snowdrifts. We have managed to get out to the main road from our rural property, but it was touch and go this morning.

Hey, but don't feel sorry for me, the guys who should really be pitied are the cub reporters on the news programmes. I tend to watch the news in the morning while I eat my breakfast. At 7.00 a.m. the anchor cuts to some poor young person standing by a motorway in the middle of a blizzard, and talking about the traffic problems on the roads. He - it is usually a he - will have been up at 5.00 a.m. to get his equipment and drive out to Aabenraa or Falster or some other out-of-the-way place, and he then has to stand there for the next x hours in miserable weather, giving inane bulletins every 30 minutes or so. I may have difficulty driving the 400 yards up the lane to the main road, but at least I can drink my coffee sitting in my pyjamas in a chair with a radiator three feet away.

Walter Blotscher

1 comment:

  1. Gosh. Srping is a long time a coming in Denmark. Cub reporters? As in young wolves.

    ReplyDelete