Monday 24 December 2012

CHRISTMAS 2012

Like last year, I am alone in the house at this time. The others have gone off to church, while I watch over the bird, and make the bread sauce.

This year will be the first time ever that not all of our family of five will be at home at Christmas. My elder son (he of the Globe 6 Adventures blog) has been in America this autumn, and has decided to stay on for as long as his visa allows. I spoke to him on Skype about an hour ago, but it won't be the same as if he were here. The end of an era, I suppose.

After rushing to Basel and back, I have had a pretty lazy day. I made coffee and tea for my other son and daughter, fetched some wood for the stove, stuffed the turkey, and prepared the Brussels sprouts. My daughter then gave me a Christmas haircut, including eyebrows and ears (what is the evolutionary point of men having less hair on their heads as they grow older while having ever more hair in their ears?), before the turkey went into the oven at 12.00. All I have to do now is have a shave and a shower, and I'll be ready.

A very happy Christmas to all who read this.

Walter Blotscher

2 comments:

  1. It is, in fact, not the first time the whole family is not re-united for Christmas. When I went to Denmark for a grommet operation at the age of 6 or 7, it was in December. I stayed for Christmas in Denmark that year, although most of the family were celebrating in Africa.

    But yes, the end of an era. You were all sorely missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joachim,

    Aah yes, I had forgotten that.

    Regards,

    Walter

    ReplyDelete