Monday 26 November 2012

AUTUMN TASKS (2)

Like last year, November was unusually dry this year, so I have done a lot of autumn tasks. Starting with leaves. Being next to a wood, and having a huge beech tree right next to the house, an awful lot of them fall on the house, the yard and the lawns. Sweeping up leaves is a bit like mowing the lawn; a repetitive task that gives plenty of time for introspection.

But I have also been productive. I finished a new terrace (pictures later), and have rendered the foundation on the third side of the barn. I have also built a new rose garden at the front of the house. My mother-in-law thought that the original one round the back was too close to the wood, and that the plants would not get enough sun. That was a correct decision, so last week we dug them up and moved them to their new home.

I also trimmed the beech hedge. As part of that, I discovered a mole that was going berserk under it. I don't mind that, just so long as he doesn't move out and destroy my lawns. After letting him have fun for a week or so, I got tired of the sport, and bagged him in my trap. God, I'm good at mole-hunting.

All that remains is for me to clear out the leaves from the guttering. My daughter has agreed to hold the ladder while I do that on Saturday morning. Then we will be all set for the winter, which is coming next week.

Walter Blotscher

No comments:

Post a Comment