Tuesday 30 October 2012

BRANSTON PICKLE (2)

Branston pickle is one of my favourites. I sometimes have dreams that if I ever bought a major company, it would be them (or Roses, makers of lime marmalade, or something like that, you get my drift). I suppose that's the point of dreams, that they're dreams.

Anyway, I have today read that Branston's has been sold. The current owners, Premier Foods, have too much debt, and need to reduce it. The £92.5million in proceeds will go some way to achieving that.

The only thing I find a bit surprising is that the business has been sold to a Japanese company, Mizkan, who are apparently big in vinegar. I was surprised since I had thought that Branston's pickle was a peculiarly British thing that didn't travel well. Apparently not.

Walter Blotscher

No comments:

Post a Comment