Thursday 26 July 2012

SEA BATHING

Sea bathing in Denmark is not for the faint-hearted. It is like I remember my childhood holidays in Britain, with grey skies, even greyer seas (North Sea, English Channel, Irish Sea), shingle beaches, little or no sun, howling winds. And very cold water.

I had no problem with those circumstances when I was eight years old. What spoiled me was 8 years in Tanzania, with blue skies, even bluer sea (Indian Ocean), sandy beaches, lots of sun, little wind. And lovely warm water.

Since coming to Denmark in 2000, I have found it difficult to readapt. My wife hasn't; she has happily relapsed into Viking mode, and is always badgering me to do the same. This week it has been really hot here, almost 30 degrees. And I am quite proud to say that she has managed to persuade me to go swimming in the sea both yesterday and today. I even managed to enjoy it.

Walter Blotscher

No comments:

Post a Comment