Monday 2 April 2012

SYRIA (2)

In my earlier post on Syria, last November, I said that I did not think that President Assad would be toppled any time soon. That prediction has turned out to be correct. To paraphrase the Three Little Pigs, the Western powers have huffed and puffed and even sent Kofi Annan to Damascus; but Assad's house is still standing.

The Syrians have apparently now agreed to Mr. Annan's plan for a ceasefire starting on 10 April, plus various other things. I have to say that whatever the diplomatic naunces in the plan, I don't believe that it will be implemented in full. President Assad is an expert at playing for time, and this is yet another example of it. The Syrian conflict will - unfortunately - rumble on for some time to come.

Walter Blotscher

No comments:

Post a Comment