Saturday 21 April 2012

THE 2011 PROJECT (7)

The 2011 Project is, in principle, completed. However, since part of it was building a kitchen garden, it continues into the future.

This weekend is planting time, so today I went out and bought some seeds. Last year was a bit of a trial attempt, and I am going for the full monty this year; potatoes, squash, carrots, leeks, lettuce and rhubarb. The last came from my mother-in-law's garden, after I dug up half of one of her plants this morning. Most things split in half with a spade and transported a mile down the road would not survive. But she assures me that rhubarb are hardy things, and that it will survive.

When I came back, I finished turning the earth with my fork, raked it down nice and smooth, and put the rhubarb in one corner. I then dug out the drainage channels around the square. They won't keep the weeds and tree roots out, but they will have to work a bit harder than they otherwise would. Tomorrow I will plant the whole thing, and then sit back and wait.

After all that exercise, I treated myself to a litre bottle of San Miguel beer with my dinner. I had earned it.


And here is the final result, complete with rhubarb plant, sticks, drainage channels and a shade tree that got a haircut this morning, so that it didn't get in the way.

Walter Blotscher

2 comments:

  1. Well done. A full bottle.That is very modest by Sandwich standards for a Sunday. But we have a lot of funerals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Walter; I like the no frills approach. My wife is always pestering me to 'run a few sweet peas up the shed' or pop in a clump of cornflower- they're so pretty'.

    ReplyDelete