Thursday 2 February 2012

A CREATURE OF HABIT

After my shower this morning, I cut my toenails. And as I was doing this, I became aware of how much I (and, I suspect, you readers) am a creature of habit.

Three examples should suffice. First, when I cut my toenails, I always start with the right foot, and go from second toe to little toe, leaving the big toe until last. Then I do the same with my left foot.

Secondly, when I shave, I always start with my left cheek, from the sideburn down, followed by my right cheek, then the chin and neck, and finally the moustache area.

Thirdly, when I iron a shirt, it is always in the order collar, stock, cuffs and front buttons, sleeves, the shirt itself and then the collar once more.

All three examples are not just "well, I usually do it like that", but "I always do it like that, every single time". I did think it was because that was how my mother taught me to do it when I was little. But then I remembered that she doesn't shave, so I realised it must have something to do with me.

Walter Blotscher

1 comment:

  1. Most habits make sense. The ironing of a shirt with the stock and sleeves first is to minimize the handling of the shirt once it has been ironed, thus giving it a better look.

    The shaving is also logical, since the moustache area is the most delicate layer of skin, while the cheeks are the least delicate, meaning that it is preferential to let the shaving foam moisten the skin for as long as possible in that area.

    On the other hand, the toenail thing is just weird.

    No need to reply to this post, just read it and left your madness dawn upon you..:)

    ReplyDelete