Friday 2 December 2011

THE LIMITS OF CULTURE

Last night I organised a new event at the local cinema. A French evening; two French films plus free wine in the interval, all for the bargain price of kr.100 (the normal price for a film is kr.60, though some films are more expensive). And on a cold, wet Thursday (i.e. not clashing with badminton, or good things on the television).

Although both films were good (La Potiche and La Vie en Rose), I had no idea in advance how many people would show up. I wrote to all of the local schools' French teachers, and offered them a discount for students (kr.70 + free soda instead of wine). I also wrote to the local paper, asking them to put a plug in this week's edition. Plus it was highlighted in the flyer we distribute in people's letterboxes every 8 weeks or so.

In the event, there were eleven of us; of whom three were me, my wife and my daughter. The local paper didn't print the plug, and no student came. So, on that basis, it was a bit disappointing. I enjoyed it; but you can't run a cinema for my personal benefit. Not yet, anyway.

I have discovered the limits of culture in my local town.

Walter Blotscher 

No comments:

Post a Comment