Sunday 23 October 2011

ALPETRAMP

Together with 1,300 other amateur cyclists I did the Alpetramp this morning, 63km in the hills of Southern Fünen (plus an extra 25km to and from the start line). The hills are of course not really big enough to be called Alps; but they are short and steep (7-12%) and add up in the legs. In all, we had to climb almost 700m.

It was a lovely sunny October day, but cold and with a fair easterly wind. However, for some reason (probably the early start to the day) I wasn't feeling very good, and struggled even in the warm-up. I then made the fatal mistake at the start of not managing to get my shoe into the click pedal immediately, meaning that my 50-man group was off and away without me. I picked up other groups on the way round, but it was a bit of a mental blow.

The wind was against during the first half, which made life tough. However, after taking on chocolate and banana at the halfway depot at the top of the fearsome golf course climb, and with the wind at my back, things got easier. I came in with a time of 2 hours and 35 minutes; which I thought was pretty good in the circumstances. Until you consider that the winner did it in an hour and 42 minutes. 

Walter Blotscher

No comments:

Post a Comment