Wednesday 10 August 2011

MOLE WARFARE (8)

I think that the Mole Army must be reading this blog. As soon as I announce in print that I am going off on a week's holiday in England, they send a stormtrooper into the top of the new grass area, close to the big beech tree and the wheatfield (see an earlier post for a map of the battlefield). Fortunately, said stormtrooper didn't like the new grass area, since there were only a few desultory piles before he stopped and moved along the hedge into the now dangerouly exposed front garden (I say fortunately, since a reasonably busy mole could have wrecked all of my hard work on the new lawn in the course of one evening).   

Coming back on Monday, I sighed with relief, changed into my military uniform and went onto the offensive. I put a defensive trap on the edge of the new grass area, and then worked my way along the hedge, laying a trap in what I thought was his current position and flattening the remaining piles. Tuesday morning required moving the trap 2 metres to the left. Then, this morning, bingo! One dead mole.

A key victory in this eternal war. And if the Mole Army are indeed reading this, then take note; I have no plans to go on holiday for the rest of this year.  

Walter Blotscher

No comments:

Post a Comment