Friday 29 July 2011

SUMMER HOLIDAYS

I drove into Odense this morning, and wondered where everybody was.

The short answer is "on holiday". Danes take more holidays than any other European nation, about 40 days a year on average, including public holidays (Romania is lowest). And a large proportion of those still take place during the so-called "industry holiday", which is traditionally weeks 28, 29, and 30. It is no longer necessary for factories to shut down completely for a period, if employees are willing to be flexible. But old habits die hard.

Speaking of holidays, I am off tonight to the U.K. to visit my Mum and spend a few days walking with my daughter in the Yorkshire Dales, a part of Britain I have never visited. Since July here has been one of the ten wettest on record, I am hoping for a bit of sunshine.

Back on the blog on 9 August.

Walter Blotscher

No comments:

Post a Comment