Friday 6 May 2011

RURAL ETIQUETTE

Here's a puzzle to start the weekend. When you live in a rural area, should you (or should you not), mow the grass verges between your and your neighbour's property, even though those verges are not on either of your properties?

It should be said up-front that the local council won't do it. On the grounds - presumably - of road safety, they get a local farmer to trim the overhanging trees once a year. But the verges don't cause traffic problems, not least because there are only four houses on our road, and it's a cul-de-sac. I did once back out of my drive into the path of a stray tractor pulling a gylle wagon. But the prospect of being covered in 20,000 litres of pig urine has made me more careful since then.

OK, back to mowing. As readers will know, I am a big fan of mowing. But there are divergent opinions on whether it should extend to the verges. My daughter's girlfriends, for example, think I am clearly bonkers. However, since the chances of my daughter's girlfriends getting their hands around a lawnmower and pushing it are about as small as my hitting a gylle wagon, I am inclined to disregard their views. Basically, I think it looks nice when the verges have been mown, as you can see below. I hope you agree.

Walter Blotscher

No comments:

Post a Comment