Wednesday 23 March 2011

SMUG BUILDER (2)

The smug builder project is going well (he said smugly). It has been beautiful spring weather for the past week or so, so I decided to sort out the two big doors in the barn (those on the right of the picture).


The problem with the doors is that they were rotten at the bottom. So last weekend, I took them out, chopped them up with my chainsaw, and then painted the beam from which they hung. The wood had rotted, because the doors went all the way down to the ground, and were affected by rainwater. So next I built a foundation, which aligns with that of the rest of the building. Then today I started with the first line of brickwork, leaving a gap in the middle for a more modest door. I salvaged a door from somewhere else in the barn, had a frame built for it, and then painted it. I will put it in and brick up around it.

I have also arranged for someone to come this week and take away that very ugly and environmentally incorrect red oil tank, and replace it with something more modern. Things are moving forward.

Walter Blotscher

No comments:

Post a Comment