Wednesday 15 December 2010

MY MUM'S BIRTHDAY

It is my mum's birthday today. She is 85, so many congratulations to her. Not that she will be reading this entry, she has never had a computer and never will. Silly things, in her view. And dangerous; what about identity theft?

Although she gave me a long list of reasons over the weekend why I shouldn't send her a present (they included the difficulties caused by the snow, and the fact that the local postman in Derby has left to get a better job), she was of course delighted when I spoke to her that I had sent her flowers from us all through Interflora. She has always been a big lover of flowers; if they are particularly nice, she takes pictures of them to remind her of them later.

The list of reasons above reflects the fact that although she is 85 and I am 51, she still treats me in some ways as if she were 45 and I were 11. Her big thing at the moment, because of the weather, is thermal underwear. She obviously has this Dickensian vision of rural Danes shivering around a brazier provided by some kind of Poor Law legislation. I didn't tell her that I was building a wall in the barn yesterday - without thermal underwear - when it was minus 2 degrees outside, it is, after all, her birthday. In fact, I suspect I never will.

Walter Blotscher

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your Mum. My mother is 81 on Christmas Day. I am a lot older than you though, your wisdom and wit belies your years.

    These rural activities will keep you warm and I too do not feel the cold when my golf drives fly stright and true accross the links.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michael,

    Happy Birthday to your mum, when it happens. I have always thought it must be difficult having one's birthday on Christmas Day, a struggle to appear special. But if it has happened 81 times, I suppose you get used to it.

    Regards,

    Walter

    ReplyDelete