Sunday 21 November 2010

PHYSICAL WORK

I am knackered. I spent five hours today pulling up the planks in the barn. These 6-8 metre long monsters were nailed across the top of the beams some 20 years ago in a tongue and groove system. They used huge six inch nails, which they hammered in at an angle precisely so that it would be difficult for people like me to pull them up. The construction was strong enough to bear all of the machinery and other stuff that they stored in the loft of the barn.

The stuff went, when we moved into the house in 2002. But the planks remained, and it has been my job to pull them out. In order to do that I have to stand on a ladder, and use a hammer and crowbar to lever the end nails out. Then I have to go to the next beam and do the same. It is gruelling on the arms.

However, I cleared the area I wanted to. And after a "handyman" beer and a shower, I am now sitting on the sofa, ready to watch the Minnesota Vikings v. the Green Bay Packers live. My arms are killing me, but I feel surprisingly satisfied.

Walter Blotscher

2 comments:

  1. Well done. Such efforts when sucessful can create a sense of satisfaction. There msut be grand plans for the modern use of the barn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor choice...there were many better games. Jets v.Texans or even Pats v. Colts would have been better. JS

    ReplyDelete