Friday 23 April 2010

PINK

This is probably going to generate some serious toe-curling embarassment in my 16-year old daughter, but I have to admit that I really like Pink. Not pink, as in the colour. But Pink, usually written P!nk, the singer, otherwise known as Alecia Beth Moore.

I think the toe-curling comes from the idea of a middle-aged man ogling after an attractive 30-year old popstar. But until I went into her website this afternoon, I had never really seen what she looks like. I have heard her on the radio a lot, of course. But since I don't watch Boogie or MTV, I have only had fleeting glimpses of her. Despite the fact that she has apparently sold close to 100 million records, and was the number one Popsong Artist of the "noughties", according to Billboard.

What do I like about her music? Well, she has got a strong, raunchy voice, and she sings good songs like "I don't believe you" and "Please, please don't leave me". The most recent ones, notably "Sober", have also been characterised by some rather nifty guitar work (I was in a band in my youth, so I appreciate that sort of thing). She is a sort of modern-day Ellen Foley, if you can remember her. The next time I am browsing in an airport duty-free, I just might buy one of her CD's.

As it happens, I also like pink the colour. Apparently, it suits me. So I have a number of pink shirts and ties, that I wear with a plain, grey suit. Just the sort of clothes you would wear to a P!nk concert, in fact .....

Walter Blotscher

2 comments:

  1. Clara C. Welchbeest23 April 2010 at 21:14

    What the hell is this?! I must admit, I completely understand your, it seems, wonderful, beautiful and absolutely great daughter - P!NK is just another popstar, who tries to be original by singing about how different she is, but still ends up sounding fake and exactly like everybody else! Her lyrics are depressing and boring (all she ever sings about is how bloody depressed she is!) and even IF a middle-aged man might like her, I would warn them against EVER admitting to it in public - neither that nor the fact that you would wear a suit at a big popconcert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Clara,

    I get the impression that you know my daughter rather well.

    As for the suit, that was something called IRONY.

    Walter

    ReplyDelete